Conversion of cropland to permanent hay or pasture provides year-round ground cover reducing soil erosion and enhancing water quality. Mixed stands of grasses and/or legumes are recommended.
- Seed and planting costs
- Minerals (fertilizer, lime, manure)
- Soil test and manure analysis (if applied)
- Herbicides and pesticides
Cost Share and/or Tax Credit Rates
- 75% of total estimated project costs, with additional cost per acre depending on lifespan of contract
- $25 per acre one-time incentive payment for 5-year contract
- $100 per acre one-time incentive payment for a 10-year contract
- $150 per acre one-time incentive payment for a 15-year contract
- Tax Credit: 25% of eligible out-of-pocket expenses, after Cost-Share payment
Contact the District Office to learn more!